How to Replace Vinyl Straps on Lounge Chairs
Most popular lounge chairs have two types of vinyl wrapping – double wrapping and single wrapping. This guide will talk you through the steps involved in replacing the vinyl on your lounge chairs.
Double wrap lounge chairs mean that the vinyl is wrapped around the frame twice at each end so that you can’t see the rivet. These are slightly trickier to repair but not too tough. Single wrap lounge chairs have their rivets visible on the underside.
To replace the vinyl straps, you will need:
- Replacement vinyl (this comes in a roll or it can come pre-cut)
- Replacement rivets (5/11 ¼ inch rivets)
- Boiling water
- Tongs (or a long implement to remove straps from hot water – a long screwdriver could do the job)
- Cotton gloves (to protect your hands from the heat)
- A measuring tape
- A piece of wood (to drill into)
For this tutorial you'll need the following parts, click on each part to buy them directly.
Replacing double wrap straps
- Remove the old strap from the furniture frame and dispose
- Clean down the frame and dry it ready for the replacement straps
- Measure the strap length needed. Start at the hole on one side and wrap the measuring tape around the frame twice. Stretch it across the frame to the other side and wrap it around twice again. Take the measurement from this point. Need more help measuring straps? Read this tutorial.
- Take 10% off from the measurement. This is done in order to keep the vinyl tight. For example, if your measuring tape is showing 33 inches, we take 10% off and have a measurement of 30 inches. This is the length we cut the straps to.
- If you are buying PRECUT vinyl straps, skip steps 6-7-8!
- Cut the straps straight across.
- Cut off the corners. This means that they won’t stick out when you turn them over. You need to cut off the corners on both sides.
- With the corners cut off, measure a ¼ inch from the edge and drill a hole into the vinyl (this is for the rivet). Use a ¼ inch drill bit.
- Put the rivets through the holes. It’s important that you put the rivets through the holes before you heat up the vinyl as it will be really tricky when it’s hot. Need help picking a rivet? Read this short tutorial.
- Drop the straps into the boiling water and leave for 3 to 4 minutes. This will allow the vinyl to become really pliable.
- After 3 or 4 minutes, remove a vinyl strap using tongs. Only touch the vinyl while wearing gloves because it will be really hot.
- Take one end of the strap and plug the rivet into the frame, then wrap it around.
- Pull the vinyl about 10 inches past the furniture.
- With one hand holding it in place, wrap the strap up and over.
- Put the rivet into the hole then position it into place.
If you would like to see these steps in a quick tutorial (1:15 mins), this is for you:
If you would like to see these steps in a detailed in-depth tutorial (7 minutes), this video is for you:
Single wrap straps
For lounge chairs with single wrap straps, you need the same tools and equipment. All of the steps, including the 10% reduction are the same. The only thing that is different is that you only wrap around the side frame once on each side.
You can also watch the detailed tutorial here:
And if you have any questions, feel free to send us a line at email@example.com.